Rob Cross got his first taste of darts when he was just 11 years old, but it wasn’t until he was 18 that he realised he was truly talented at the sport. Last year, Rob makes his breakthrough at the UK open, with a run to the last 32 as an amateur qualifier. His star has been on the rise in the industry for some time, but signing with Target gave him the momentum he needed to jump to 24 in the PDC rankings.
Former electrician Cross has been enjoying his growth in the professional circuit, winning the Challenge Tour last year and now joining team Target reaching the final of the European Championships.
In this spit fire question interview, Cross tells his sponsors Target about his biggest inspiration and fellow team Target player, and the key to his recent success.
In your career so far:
- How many years have you been playing Darts? Since I was 11 years old!
- When did you first discover you were any good? I was 18 when I first realised
- What is your biggest accomplishment so far? Winning a pro tour – I was so proud of myself
- If you could give any advice in the key to your success – what would it be? Cherish the support from your family and friends, they are the ones who will always be there for you
- What would be your ultimate achievement in the future? To be world number 1
- How do you prepare pre game? I play 201
- What is your biggest challenge, and what do you do to manage this challenge? To maintain playing well I make sure I stay dedicated and practice constantly – always remain focused.
- Who would be your inspiration within the industry or in sports? Phil Taylor – who else?
- What was the best advice you were ever given? Nobody remembers 2nd place, they only remember the winner
- If you weren’t a professional darts player, what would you want to do? I think it would be fun to join the circus!
Quick fire random questions:
- What is your favourite animal? Dogs
- What would be your favourite food? A good curry
- What is your favourite movie? Got to be Law Abiding Citizen
- What’s your favourite song that ISN’T your walk in song? Michael Jackson’s – Man In The Mirror!
- How would you describe yourself in one word? Genuine
- What was the last gift you gave someone? Flowers (awww)
- What were you like in high school? Misbehaved
- What’s the last thing you watched on TV? Prison Break
- What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently? I was out in my car and the sat nav stopped working, I managed to get myself lost for an entire hour!
- What advice would you give your younger Self? Always believe in yourself.
Power 95 Generation 5 The Power 9Five G5, developed for Phil ‘The Power’ Taylor – 16 times Champion of the World. Phil bowed-out of the PDC circuit at the start of 2018 and wanted to continue his journey with a dart that he felt reflected his experience...read more
Agora - New Barrel Shape Features a combination of spectacular precision milling and radial grooves to create a premium, yet accessible dart design. Multiple milled cuts on the 4 soft-tip barrel designs mean that Agora provides a suitable yet stunning...read more
Context is everything. Without context, we are unable to fully appreciate anything - in darts, in sport, or in life in general. At the start of the World Championship, the bookmakers believed only three people were more likely to win the title than the two...read more
The Rob Cross fairy tale has been unlike no other. A player who has made history with the most incredible debut year, has now shown the world what he is made of with poise, determination and a humbled elegance. Target spoke with the ‘Voltage’ at the...read more
He has been called The Crafty Potter, The Governor, The Godfather and The Power. He has been described as a winning machine, a competitive animal and a genius. He is Philip Douglas Taylor. It all kicked off in 1986 when Eric Bristow the 5 Time World...read more
Takoma Wallets The Takoma by Target Darts. A strong EVA material is used to maintain rigidity and give protection to the darts and accessories inside. While inside the wallet a velvet layer has been added for a soft feel and to be scratch resistant. The...read more
Adrian Lewis Coolplay Shirt 2019 The 2019 authentic dart shirt of Adrian 'Jackpot' Lewis. In a lightweight, breathable material, this shirt from Target Darts is worn by the 2 x World Champion. In a distinctive black and blue colour scheme, this is the...read more