Rob Cross got his first taste of darts when he was just 11 years old, but it wasn’t until he was 18 that he realised he was truly talented at the sport. Last year, Rob makes his breakthrough at the UK open, with a run to the last 32 as an amateur qualifier. His star has been on the rise in the industry for some time, but signing with Target gave him the momentum he needed to jump to 24 in the PDC rankings.
Former electrician Cross has been enjoying his growth in the professional circuit, winning the Challenge Tour last year and now joining team Target reaching the final of the European Championships.
In this spit fire question interview, Cross tells his sponsors Target about his biggest inspiration and fellow team Target player, and the key to his recent success.
In your career so far:
- How many years have you been playing Darts? Since I was 11 years old!
- When did you first discover you were any good? I was 18 when I first realised
- What is your biggest accomplishment so far? Winning a pro tour – I was so proud of myself
- If you could give any advice in the key to your success – what would it be? Cherish the support from your family and friends, they are the ones who will always be there for you
- What would be your ultimate achievement in the future? To be world number 1
- How do you prepare pre game? I play 201
- What is your biggest challenge, and what do you do to manage this challenge? To maintain playing well I make sure I stay dedicated and practice constantly – always remain focused.
- Who would be your inspiration within the industry or in sports? Phil Taylor – who else?
- What was the best advice you were ever given? Nobody remembers 2nd place, they only remember the winner
- If you weren’t a professional darts player, what would you want to do? I think it would be fun to join the circus!
Quick fire random questions:
- What is your favourite animal? Dogs
- What would be your favourite food? A good curry
- What is your favourite movie? Got to be Law Abiding Citizen
- What’s your favourite song that ISN’T your walk in song? Michael Jackson’s – Man In The Mirror!
- How would you describe yourself in one word? Genuine
- What was the last gift you gave someone? Flowers (awww)
- What were you like in high school? Misbehaved
- What’s the last thing you watched on TV? Prison Break
- What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently? I was out in my car and the sat nav stopped working, I managed to get myself lost for an entire hour!
- What advice would you give your younger Self? Always believe in yourself.
Context is everything. Without context, we are unable to fully appreciate anything - in darts, in sport, or in life in general. At the start of the World Championship, the bookmakers believed only three people were more likely to win the title than the two...read more
The Rob Cross fairy tale has been unlike no other. A player who has made history with the most incredible debut year, has now shown the world what he is made of with poise, determination and a humbled elegance. Target spoke with the ‘Voltage’ at the...read more
He has been called The Crafty Potter, The Governor, The Godfather and The Power. He has been described as a winning machine, a competitive animal and a genius. He is Philip Douglas Taylor. It all kicked off in 1986 when Eric Bristow the 5 Time World...read more
THE two Women's Qualifiers for the William Hill World Darts Championship have been confirmed for Dusseldorf and Milton Keynes and will take place in November. Two places for female players will be on offer in the 2018/2019 World Championship at Alexandra...read more
Target's World Champion Rob Cross's debut Premier League season ended in a run to the semi-finals. "Voltage" had produced some stunning displays in his first attempt at the tournament, but he could not overcome world number one Michael van Gerwen at the O2...read more
Target's Premier League pair Rob Cross and Raymond van Barneveld both finished off the league stage of the competition with draws in Aberdeen. Former winner "Barney" hit three ton-plus checkouts and averaged more than 97 in his 6-6 result with...read more